Together with American Express, the National Trust for Historic Preservation has announced the recipients for its 2023 round of Backing Historic Small Restaurants grants. These 25 small or independently owned restaurants—all places that contribute to their neighborhood's unique history and identity—will each receive $40,000 in funding to help them improve their businesses and positively impact their communities.
Since it began, the Backing Historic Small Restaurants grant program has granted a total of $3 million to 75 historic restaurants (2021, 2022, 2023) to help restaurants address critical needs amid ongoing economic challenges. This critical financial support helps small restaurant owners better navigate supply chain issues, staffing shortages, inflation, and other crises so that their establishments’ legacies can continue.
The 25 U.S. restaurants that will collectively receive $1 million in grant funding through Backing Historic Small Restaurants in 2023 are:
- Delgadillo's Snow Cap, Seligman, Arizona
- Mitla Café, San Bernardino, California
- Far East Café, San Francisco, California
- Gather55, Hartford, Connecticut
- FishScale, Washington, D.C.
- Jeff’s Red Hots, Chicago, Illinois
- Flesor's Candy Kitchen, Tuscola, Illinois
- Radius Brewing Company, Emporia, Kansas
- Social Coffeehouse & Speakeasy, Leonardtown, Maryland
- Pentagoet Inn & Pub, Castine, Maine
- The Holly Hotel, Holly, Michigan
- Pekin Noodle Parlor, Butte, Montana
- Crown Point Restaurant, Virginia City, Nevada
- Hatcha’s, Mora, New Mexico
- Mr. Powdrell’s Barbeque House, Albuquerque, New Mexico
- The Hungarian Pastry Shop, New York City, New York
- The Treehouse, Cleveland, Ohio
- Johnny's Victory Diner, Burrillville, Rhode Island
- SnoCap Drive-In, North Augusta, South Carolina
- U Drop Inn Café, Shamrock, Texas
- Freighthouse Market & Café, Lyndonville, Vermont
- Harold's Kitchen, Richmond, Virginia
- Kelly's Gingernut Pub, Cape Charles, Virginia
- Carlito's Soul Food Kitchen, Wheeling, West Virginia
- Cozy Inn Restaurant, Janesville, Wisconsin
Have questions? Please email email@example.com.